Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Blog post #13 on video essays

The video essays this week were extremely interesting!  The main one I watched was Mangoes.  Admittedly, I felt a bit awkward getting such an intimate view into how this man is taking care of his baby.  To some degree, I felt like I was seeing too deep into his special relationship to his family.  However, I know that is something more in line with what I am personally distressed by, and others probably don't see it quite the same way. 

His actual point about gender stereotypes was very poignant and strong, and I really found myself interested in what it had to say.  As usual, he made it very clear that we put far too much emphasis on gender as a way to force certain people into certain roles for absolutely arbitrary reasons.  There's no reason the dad should feel embarrassed by wearing his baby on his chest, yet that's the society we live in today.  It's a very powerful piece with a message that we deserve to see over and over again until it starts making a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment